Sunday, February 20, 2011

Men Without Hats: The Good Albums Digitized


I have finally digitized my two Men Without Hats Vinyl LPs: Rhythm of Youth (1983) and Folk of the 80s (Part lll) (1984). Since buying my Ion iTTUSB Turntable in 2006 I have had a list of records I own that must be digitized. The records on this list include bootlegs, rare promos and albums that are unavailable on CD or as a digital download. My Men Without Hats albums fall into the “unavailable” category. That is to say they are not available anywhere as a new sale in North America. It may be possible to find them used online or at a garage sale but unlikely. Ten or so years ago there was a CD that had much of these two albums material on it along with some less worthy songs that came after these albums. It is out of print, too. What a shame. They are lost glittering gems of a bygone, musically adventurous, era. Looking back with a new perspective on all things musical, Rhythm of Youth and Folk of the 80’s (Part lll) were bold musical statements. I always liked them and, even then, they were really different. I’m glad I stumbled on them. These were very eclectic, forward thinking albums. Listening to them now, I’m amazed at how good they are but, alas, they are forgotten. You see, Men Without Hats were a one hit wonder band.

Their big hit was “The Safety Dance,” a big hit on MTV, back when the “M” stood for “music.” It’s hard to describe the song: think early 80’s synth rock but sung like it was a 60’s protest song, Folk style. (Hence, Folk of the 80’s?) Lyrically the song is a bold individualist statement about dancing. The video rounds out this incongruous stew of disparate elements. In the video, the singer strides about confidently through a Medieval/Renaissance landscape. Jesters, wenches and townspeople dance at the singer’s passing and fall into line, following until they reach a town square, where they dance together in joyous communion. I was hooked the first I saw the video and sought to purchase the album. Rhythm of Youth yielded 10 distinct and interesting songs that sounded like nothing I’d ever heard before. Sadly, as popular as “The Safety Dance” was, it would not “break” the band and they faded from the public’s fickle eye.

I followed the band regardless and was rewarded a year later when Folk of the 80’s (Part lll) was released. This album was just as good as Rhythm of Youth; done in the same style but distinctly different as well. Excellent music! I eagerly awaited their next album. And I waited. And waited.



Finally, 1987 brought Pop Goes the World, the long awaited and eagerly anticipated follow up to Folk of the 80s (Part lll). I couldn’t admit it at the time, though I felt it, I was greatly disappointed with the album. The lineup had changed and the music, including Ivan’s vocal delivery style, had changed. Now it was candyfied, late 80’s, pop dreck. The next album followed suit and they pretty much disappeared. But I always had these albums, which I was careful not scratch. My old turntable died at a time when turntables had become unavailable and USB Turntables hadn’t yet arrived. I was exiled from the wonderful world of vinyl for a time.

When I finally secured a USB turntable, Men Without Hats were some of the first records I pulled out. But I was long in recording them, possibly holding off until the albums came available. That never happened so I finally sat down and recorded them onto my computer. Actually, I did it twice. A warning to Audacity users: Check your channel settings before you record! I hastily recorded these, and other, albums in a marathon recording session only to realize, after the fact, I had recorded everything in Mono! Wanting these songs as much as for enjoyment as for backup purposes, I was forced to rerecord everything. Doh! But it was well worth the effort. Now I can listen to this great music anywhere and am no longer limited to the availability of a turntable. Also, if my young daughter decides to do horrible and unspeakable things to these records, I will still have a copy of the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment