Sunday, January 2, 2011

Halford’s Still Made of Metal

I put off buying Halford 4 - Made of Metal for a number of reasons. There was other music I wanted to download more, Nostradamus with Judas Priest was disappointing and would Made of Metal be just another tired retread of past glory? I have been a fan of Rob Halford for nearly 30 years and have always wanted to be a first day buyer when something new comes out. But lately, I’ve wondered if he and the rest of Judas Priest are past their prime and maybe they should all just retire. And so it goes that Judas Priest have announced their final “Epitaph” tour. Reading this I realized I might want to pick up Halford 4. It was only $10 at Walmart, not much more than the digital download, so I decided to go old school and buy the plastic.

My expectations weren’t particularly high when I plugged my new CD in the player. I have found that having low expectations is good because I’m far less crest fallen when I’m disappointed. But I am not disappointed with Made of Metal. In fact I’m a little surprised and mildly relieved. The album delivers a sold dose of Heavy Metal and has a fire in its belly. Halford has made no bones that he will continue after the mighty Priest are gone and this album stands as testimony. Halford’s solo output has been next to nothing since rejoining Priest but it has been picking up in the waning days of Priest. Made of Metal follows less than a year since Halford’s last album, Halford 3 – Winter Songs, the first album to be released after a seven year gap.

If you’re on the fence about this one, get off the fence and buy the album. What are you waiting for? You know you want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment