Sunday, January 23, 2011

Vinyl Fun Finds at Goodwill


Lately, I’ve made some great Vinyl finds at the local Goodwill Store. I have been trolling for cool Vinyl for many years. I find my treasures by haunting flea markets, thrift stores, flea markets and, infrequently, garage sales. Garage Sales are always disappointing as a cool vinyl resource, whereas an actual record store is the best resource. Which, I didn’t include in my list above because it’s an obvious place to find cool vinyl and there aren’t many record stores left, anyways. Also, the selection is usually picked over, worn out, over priced and smells like piss. Cat or Human? I think both. Flea Markets are a step above as they don’t smell as bad but they cost more. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen much vinyl at all at any flea markets for the last couple of years. So that leaves Thrift Stores. Up until recently thrift stores have been more a resource for that cool old retro cover. The music inside, to my modern ears, is garbage for the most part. Rarely did I find some cool rock album, rather it was the garbage made for old people back in the 50’s up through the 70’s. And yet, some of them had cool covers. Well, maybe not cool in a pop culture sense but cool to me.  Every decade or so I’d find a cool rock album from the 70’s up. These were rare gems. Outside of the occasional Jazz, Blues or Comedy record, you just didn’t see anything cool in thrift stores. Rock albums were surprising and fun finds back in the day. In the last few months of 2010 is when cool rock albums from the 70’s & 80’s started making a regular appearance at my local Goodwill Store.
Of course all the crap I’ve picked through over the years is still there but now I’m finding pockets of cool stuff shoved in between the crap. I was astonished to find a large cache of Rap and DJ Mixes thereof, most of which was from the mid 90’s and Chicago based. Real local shit. I wasn’t a fan but I could appreciate the serious find before me. I passed, knowing it belonged to someone else. Flipping along, I found another pocket of cool shit. It was of some 45’s, which is fairly rare to find at thrift stores. The first 7” was “Goody Two Shoes” by Adam Ant backed with “Crackpot History” (the superior song, in my opinion) from 1982! Both songs come from the album, Friend or Foe. I love this album and I bought a cassette of it back in 1983. The next 7” was “Kung Fu Fighting” by Carl Douglas! I love this song but before finding this record, I couldn’t have told you who performed it. I have taken Kung Fu for many years now and, funnily enough(!), many people break into this song when I mention that I take Kung Fu. But now I have an actual 45 of this song! Ha! The B-Side? How cares? “Kung Fu Fighting” is on side A! The last 7” of interest was “Easy Lover” (Duet with Phil Collins) by Philip Bailey. I would’ve thought it was a Phil Collins song with Philip Bailey guesting. You learn something new every day. I always liked this song, though. There were a few other 45’s I passed on, finding them lame and contrary to the ones I wanted. A few records down I found “200 M.P.H” by Bill Cosby and in good condition. There were a few other Cosby albums but they were in piss poor shape.


A few weeks ago I found a new influx of rock albums, such as YES and STYX. The Firm’s two albums were there too, along with the PRIZE: A promo only interview disc, called Talks Business - Exclusive Interview, with Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers of The Firm. I have The Firm’s albums already but not the promo which I snatched up, looking side to side wondering if it would be necessary to defend against this great find. There were others flipping through and one guy, over my shoulder, was eyeballing the records I was flipping through, but he said nothing and violence did not erupt.


Radio promos are rare as they are not offered to the public. The promo’s sole purpose in life is to promote a new album: In this case, by providing an insightful interview with the creators on the construction of their band and their new album, in this case: The Firm’s second, and ultimately last, album “Mean Business.” Since then, Jimmy Page has claimed The Firm only ever intended to produce two albums, but the interview on this says otherwise. They seem eager to continue to write together but “Mean Business” sold poorly and the partnership was subsequently dissolved. Promos such as this are produced only in small numbers and usually remain in a radio station vault or “find” their way into an appreciative DJ’s private collection. This, after decades of collecting, is only the second Interview on vinyl I’ve found. For inquiring minds who want to know: The first is called “Lets Talk” and is an interview with David Bowie, promoting his “Lets Dance” album. “Talks Business” has a “questions and answers” version on Side A and an “answers only” version on Side B. It comes with an introductory letter and a transcript of the interview. There is also a time breakdown, informing you when you need to dub in your questions. The record is clean and I suspect it was rarely played. Over all, the package is in Near Mint condition. “Talks Business” is a great addition to my collection but offers something else, thanks to computers: The opportunity for me to dub myself asking the questions and to spruce it up by adding their music to the background. The moral of the story? Never give up flipping through all those old records, you never know what you’ll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment